Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Week 3 - Thing 5 - An entirely different look

Just logged in to Flickr from home - WOW - what a difference. Something on the school system is causing the Flickr site to load without graphics - it looks like an old DOS set up.

I take back all the negative things I said in my previous post about Flickr. I've got to go now and Check It Out.

But this makes me wonder. What good would this be to students if they can't access the site fully? And my Avatar is being blocked because it is in the - game - category. Can IT be convinced to unblock these sites?

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Good observations about school filtering and IT departments. By the end of the summer, you and many others at your school and throughout the land (wow!) will be able to demonstrate 2.0 tools and curriculum connections, thus drive filtering policies and practices.

This summer, many CSLA members who take this course will do so from their home, public library, or coffee shop broadband connections.

Anonymous said...

I believe you can convince your district techs to let you use these sites at school. Our district has an automatic filtering that looks for triggers and blocks the sites. At our district I was told we can request that a specific site not be blocked if you are planning to use it. Can't hurt to ask?